Professional Development for Those Who Desire To Be More Culturally Responsive
CASEPS provides training and national certification to educators working with adult, marginalized, and non-traditional students. The organization offers professional development in several different formats, including:
CASEPS Community Series
The CASEPS Community Series is offered four times a year. Programs are free for anyone to attend and open to any interested parties. The series is geared towards building a professional learning community amongst participants.
CASEPS offers webinars hosted by a variety of groups, including educational bodies, private businesses, and professional organizations. Each of these webinars is tailored to the specific needs of the audience and client.
CASEPS National Certification
The CASEPS National Certification program is hosted by colleges or universities across the country. Upon the successful completion of the two-day program, participants will receive their certification.
JOIN OUR MAILING LIST TO
RECEIVE The 2021-2022 National Certification, Accreditation & Standards Guide
Join our mailing to receive a download of the 2021-2022 National Certification, Accreditation, and Standards Guide. It includes programming, updates, and more!
Online Diversity Officer Course Curriculum
CASEPS Certification For Online Instructors
Day 1: Introduction To Online Diversity Officers: Facilitating, Supporting, and Consulting
Day 2: History of Course Design and Defining the Online Spaces
Day 3: Social Justice and Diversity
Day 4a: Academic, Psychological, and Social Effects of Marginalization Online
Day 4b: Prevention and Student Intervention Strategies For Online Spaces
Day 5a: Crisis Prevention and Intervention Planning For Online Spaces
Day 5b: Review of Best Practices and Internship Requirements Think T.A.N.K.
CASEPS Certified Online Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer (Abridged List of Outcomes)
What skills will an online DEI Officer have once they have completed the training?
Online DEI Officers will be able to:
- Identify psychological, social, and academic barriers linked to marginalization in online spaces. Consult with faculty members and instructional designers on future course design.
- Consult with faculty members on race, social justice, access, etc. and its educational implications. Engage and support online students within the online space.
- Facilitate Title IX complaints for online learners.
- Facilitate meaningful discussions about social justice and inequity when necessary or requested. Mentor students struggling with marginalization or environmental issues in the online space.
CASEPS Certified Online Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer
CASEPS Online Diversity Certification is a highly specialized set of skills and outcomes. This is a week-long training. This program has a 1-year internship component that can be completed while working.
Additional Certifications Offered by CASEPS
In addition to the national certification, CASEPS offers two other types of certification.
Crisis Prevention in Online Spaces
Crisis prevention is a challenging task that requires extensive planning and foresight. When applied to online spaces, additional challenges arise. It is essential to understand how community values in online learning play a role in crisis prevention in online spaces.
This certification program uses established best practices to train participants in crisis prevention in online spaces. Learning takes place over the course of four modules.
Modules cover skills including:
- How to convey a sense of community, well-being, and care
- Understanding the five key areas of crisis prevention intervention in online spaces
- How to promote best practices for safety in online spaces
- Understanding the psychological attributes of caring and effective online spaces
- Recognizing the differences between exploring trauma in virtual spaces versus face to face
- How to create a toolkit for crisis prevention
Online or Face To Face Culturally Responsive Teaching and Learning Certification
Developing culturally responsiveness presents unique challenges online and face-to-face learning. Even though implementing courses means exponentially expanding an educator’s reach, the focus on the use of ethnic and academic culture as a factor that motivates, engages, and supports learners too often remain absent. Only through a proactive approach can diversity be achieved in online spaces.
This certification program trains participants on how to create diverse and inclusive online spaces, utilizing the core principals of effective teaching using CASEPS systematic model of the application of culturally responsive teaching. Learning takes place over the course of six modules.
Modules cover skills including:
- Identifying areas for diversity and inclusion in the online environment
- Creating safe spaces in online environments
- Appraising content for diversity cues
- Analyzing course narratives for discussion points
- Creating inclusive policies while taking cues from social justice education
- Creating student engagement maps with a focus on diversity
This program also includes interactive discussions along with small group and individual work.
Committed to Excellence
Across all forms of professional development offered by CASEPS, there is a universal commitment; to provide all students with the excellent education they deserve.
At-risk, non-traditional, adult and marginalized learners have unique challenges, but they also bring with them unique strengths and experiences. With the training provided by CASEPS, educators, administrators, and mental health professionals will be better equipped to serve these populations.